Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Week 3 Story: The Twisted Brother

As Lakshmana watched Rama and Sita ride away, he knew that this couldn’t stand. Rama had convinced him earlier to give up his malintentions toward Kaikeyi and Dasaratha, but he only listened out of love and respect for his brother. Lakshmana roared, “14 years! …. 14 whole years! Rama’s place is on the throne, to lead the people of Ayodhya!” Of course family knows best so Lakshmana decided to do what he thought was best and take matters into his own hands.

If Rama did get anything through to Lakshmana, it was that violence was not the solution. So he headed off towards his father’s kopa gruha thinking about what Rama had said, “A word given is like an arrow it goes forward. You cannot recall it midway…”

“Bah! Maybe my father cannot take about his arrow, but how about I snatch it directly from the air!” Lakshmana muttered to himself. When he arrived at the kopa gruha, Lakshmana was adamant on convincing his stepmother, Kaikeyi, to reconsider he banishment and dethroning of Rama. By whatever means necessary, except for the area of violence which he could not let go of yet because of Rama.

Lakshmana burst into the room and said “Kaikeyi! I demand to discuss my brother’s banishment.” At this he noticed Dasaratha lying on the floor in too much sorrow to speak.

“What is there to discuss? Your father gave me his word for a boon many years ago and now I have requested it.” Kaikeyi calmly replied.

“You cannot send him away for 14 years! Just see reason, allow him to stay in Ayodhya. He doesn’t even need the throne.” Lakshmana pleaded.

“I loved Rama too and it pains me to see him forced into the forest, but it must be done.” Kaikeyi said, sadly.

“But he is already deep in the forest! No doubt surround by Rakshasas and asuras every step of the way.”

At hearing this Dasaratha fell into deeper pain, and after a few moments imagining Rama and Sita alone in the forest, he succumbed to his thoughts and died. When Lakshmana saw this, he threw peace and pacifism out the window and decided to instead, snap the arrow in half.

“All of this tragedy is because of YOU!” and with this, Lakshmana spun around, and in doing so, drew his blade. In the blink of an eye, Kaikeyi lay bleeding on the ground. Before her last breath, she whispered, “The gods… will not… look kindly on this.” With this, Yama punished Lakshmana with an unstoppable bloodlust.

Soon after, he forced his way to king of Ayodhya and ruled with an iron fist. This was until Rama had heard of Lakshmana’s wrongdoings and had to return to save his city and try to save his brother. He snuck into the city and found his way to the palace, there he confronted Lakshmana.

“Brother it is Rama. I have come to reason with you, to find your old self.” Lakshmana looked as those he had seen a ghost.

“Rama. I see you have come back for the throne. However I feel as though Yama’s influence and the throne suit me.” spoke Lakshmana, slyly.

“Please see reason Lakshmana. This is not who you are.”

“No Rama it is now, I only now realize how long I waited in your shadow. The throne is mine and if I must defend it from you, I will.”

Then Lakshmana slowly drew his sword and leapt towards Rama. It was one of the most well fought battles that have been told. The two brothers were almost equal in strength and skill with both of their power being far superior to the ordinary human. Rama’s discipline allowed for his victory, but it was not a rewarding victory for him. Mourning the loss of his brother, Rama performed the funeral ceremony, but knew he could not be king. This led him back into the forest and led him to face Ravana in the future. Of course he did not know of the latter purpose.




Lakshmana consoling Rama

Bibliography:
The Ramayana by R. K. Narayan



Author’s Note: The first thing that is seen here is a plot change were in Narayan’s version of The Ramayana, Lakshmana goes with Rama and Sita into the forest for the fourteen years, however I have chosen Lakshmana to stay. I decided to also have him confront Kaikeyi and Dasaratha, which Rama had originally convinced him not to do. Dasaratha’s death was very similar to Narayan’s depiction but I decided to make this the breaking point for Lakshmana. Murdering Kaikeyi gave him a bloodlust which could only be stopped with Rama’s return from the forest. Using Yama to give Lakshmana this bloodlust seemed like a good choice because of Yama’s role as the god of death. I thought it was interesting how Lakshmana was always following behind Rama and never got the spotlight, so I decided that his rage would also manifest to him fighting his brother. Rama is still very compassionate and loves his brother so he is sad to see him go.

2 comments:

  1. This story is very well told and super interesting, but I have some qualms. I absolutely love the "he threw peace and pacifism out the window and decided to instead, snap the arrow in half" bit. That's just a very funny way of putting it and well done to exhibit the tone and emotion of the scene. Overall, I feel the story is a bit he-man woman-hating club. I get that its a focus on the brothers, but the women in the story are really poorly depicted and just killed off without much say from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack!

    I loved how you took a twist on this story. I was actually alarmed at first because the way you wrote it made it seem so real. Your writing skills are really great! You wrote it well and took a good take on the story, although I was not a fan of the ending. But not everyone will like the same stories! I really enjoyed how you brought details in like Yama and honing in on Lakshmana's individuality. This was so fun to read and gave me some ideas on writing strategies as well.

    ReplyDelete