Friday, January 11, 2019

My Storybook Favorites

Barney's Blog


Barney's The Bro Code book


This Storybook is definitely one of the more interesting ones but works best if the reader knows their TV shows. Specifically How I Met Your Mother and its character, Barney, who is legendary (and in fact that word basically rules his entire life) and knowing him makes this Storybook even better. The use of his common phrases and mannerisms makes for a funny and clever way to talk about some of the characters of Indian epics even without knowing who Barney is. Because I have watched the show multiple times, this Storybook hit the mark.


1000 Ways to Die: Demon Edition

Another TV show themed Storybook comes your way! This one is based on 1000 Ways to Die but, unlike Barney's Blog, I have not seen this one. However, I liked the humor of the Storybook and the way that the stories were presented like with the "Way to die #..." Then the stories would show how different demons were killed and depict many of their characteristics. Seeing the author's insight at the end of each story helped to see the connections to the preexisting stories. This let me understand how these gods and demons were initially depicted and what departures that the author made from the preexisting stories.

Weather Gods

This last one was cool to me because it reminded me of the the Magic Tree House series because the author would travel to the past and talk to prominent figures of that time just as they did in those books. Another thing that I liked about these stories were the gods that they were focused on. Gods of nature and creation are some of the most interesting to me and I have done some reading and assignments on these types of gods. The personalities that were created for the gods were fascinating and journeys were different from each other. Each journey was also compared to the other journeys and while some left a good impression on the author, others did not. In the end, the author appreciated this journey and the experience to meet these legends.


Twister on Tuesday cover art
Salvatore Murdocca, Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment