Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Week 2 Reading Overview

Drum roll please..... I have decided to take my talents to the Narayan's Ramayana. It was a tough decision but the main reason was the large amount of accessibility that the version has of the PDE version. Being able to sit down a read a physical copy or an electronic version on my phone was too good to pass up. The price point of the PDE version was very appealing, however having all the information in one place in a modern style was able to balance out the price point. 

For the videos I picked and after looking through and watching a few videos, I found that my topics were creation stories and stories involving gods and their interactions with others. The "Hindu Creation Stories" touched on the creation stories which I think are fascinating to see how people used to think the world was created, and how these stories differ between cultures. Because I read and enjoyed books like the Percy Jackson series I enjoy stories involving gods and their interactions with the world. That's why I picked "Virtuous Demons" because it talked about some of the demonic creatures in Indian stories. I also read comic books so the the video "Avengers, Gods, and Superheroes" was very interesting. It talked about how superheroes are sometimes compared to the Gods but then discussed how maybe they shouldn't be. 

I picked the comics "Surya" and "The Tales of Balarama" because they seemed interesting after a brief skim even though I am not exactly sure what is going on. For "Surya" I didn't really understand what was going on even from the summary until a read it a few times. I chose it once I knew what happened because the fact that Sanjina, Sanjina's shadow Chhaya, Surya and their children lived together after the ordeal. Seeing that Chhaya also had children with Surya is was just really confusing. "The Tales of Balarama" is another story that can be tied to the creation story in that the characters used a plough and changed the geography of India just as say, Paul Bunyan built many natural landmarks.


Surya: The Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment