Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Wikipedia Trails: From Mahabharata to Mahatma Gandhi

Mahabharata: I decided to start my trail with our second Sanksrit epic and reading topic for the next two weeks. After reading part A, I was interested in reading more about the epic because I had some questions about what the main conflict would be and who wrote it. I wanted to see the attributed author because it was actually mentioned many times in Narayan's version that so and so was the author. After a little bit a reading, the war between the cousins is the main conflict and Vyasa seems to be the poet.

Vyasa: Alright so it would appear that Vyasa definitely is in the epic which is very interesting. This holds many comparisons to the authors of the Bible when I think about it. Both are religious texts and the writers of both were involved in actual story as it was unfolding. Although they may not have been the focus, their presence was made known in the story.

Guru Purnima: This is a celebration/tradition for Hindus, Buddhists and Jains where they honor the spiritual leaders of the past. Many Hindus use the celebration to honor Vyasa as he was believed to have been born on that day. There are dances, songs, recitations and offerings all done for this celebration.

Mahatma Gandhi: I found my way to Gandhi from the Guru Purnima as he revived the celebration to honor his old spiritual guru. Like most people, I knew of Gandhi before this trail and thought he would be a good place to end. However, I didn't now exactly why he was assassinated or who did it so reading that section was enlightening. Because a Hindu nationalist, the people he had helped for years, thought he was being too inclusive. He was someone who was just trying to be helpful to all people and paid inappropriate price.



Vyasa

No comments:

Post a Comment