Monday, April 8, 2019

Wikipedia Trails: from Hiranyagarbha to Ashwatthama

Hiranyagarbha: I chose this article to start because the golden theme is present with Hiranyaksha and Hiranyakashipu who are main characters in my storybook. The golden egg has a great deal of importance in the Vedas, but I didn't know exactly what yet. Apparently it is pretty much the big bang and is the source of the universe.

The Hiranyagarbha

Brahma: After reading on the Hiranyagarbha page, I found that Brahma was born from the golden egg. Of course I went to his page because Brahma is a good branching point to a ton of different pages.

Brahmastra: After the Mahabharata, I knew about astras and how they were very powerful weapons that were given to Arjuna. I didn't know much else, so I wanted to see what the weapons actually were. Turns out that one of Brahma's astras is just a missle launcher of Brahma's fifth head and it can destroy the whole world. Fun!

Kurukshetra War: The Brahmastra article said that Arjuna and Ashwatthama almost used Brahma's head missle on each other at the end of the Kurukshetra War but were stopped. I had no idea what the Kurukshetra War was so I went deeper. Apparently, in true Sanskrit literature fashion, it's just a different name for the Mahabharata War. It was interesting to see how the course of the battle was, especially how it took 18 days.



Image source:
Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment